Does Coffee Help Weight Loss? What It Can Do for You
Coffee. We all love it, whether for the taste or its energy boost. However, that cup of joe may do a lot more for your body than you realize. As more research is carried out on coffee, more potential health benefits are discovered, including the possibility that it can be a reliable tool for shedding the pounds. So just how does coffee help weight loss?
While it’s not a magic bullet, if you need to lose some excess baggage, being smart with your beverage may make it easier. The type of coffee you drink makes a big difference, as does knowing the best time to indulge in a cup of caffeinated goodness.
Some topics we’ll look at while examining how coffee can help weight loss:
- The science
- Coffee weight loss tips
- Don’t overdo it
- Does coffee make you lose weight? FAQs
Coffee has several amazing health benefits, which you can read about here. However, we’re focusing on the impressive ways java can help with losing weight. Why does black coffee help in weight loss?
One of the most commonly used legal drugs in the world — caffeine stimulates your body’s nervous system. This leads to increased blood flow, sending nutrients around your body more rapidly. It can also boost your metabolism and your energy levels, which is a perfect combination for burning calories faster.
Caffeine is known to suppress your appetite, as a result, it’s often a popular ingredient in diet pills. Another effect of this stimulant is to generate adrenaline flow throughout the body, and that can help break down fat cells more rapidly.
However, caffeine is not meant to be a long-term solution for losing weight. Over time, you’ll build up a tolerance to it, and it will no longer have those same effects without consuming a higher dosage. Plus, as we’ll discuss later, greater amounts of caffeine can present their own set of issues.
Chlorogenic acid is a plant-based compound found in coffee. It’s also an antioxidant, which is good for the human body, mostly related to helping your body’s cells repair themselves.
Studies on chlorogenic acid are still ongoing, but along with potentially reducing your risk for high blood pressure and Type 2 diabetes, it may also help with weight loss.
We all know that the basic principle of losing weight is to consume fewer calories than your body uses daily. This encourages your body to use its fat stores for energy.
Why does coffee help you lose weight? Fortunately, this beverage is extremely low in calories, at least if it’s drunk black. The average cup of black coffee has fewer than 5 calories — so you can drink up and not feel guilty.
Coffee Weight Loss Tips
- What type of coffee is best for weight loss? Drink it black — as in, espresso shot, Americano, or a long black. It’s easy to rack up calories if you add things like creamer to your mug — meaning breve coffee, lattes, and cappuccinos are out of the question.
- Skip the sugar. While technically, coffee is still black, at least by color, with sugar added, it also adds extra ‘empty’ calories.
- Don’t use coffee as a way to skip meals. It might seem like a quick solution, but you may end up overeating later to compensate for missing a meal.
- Opt for less caffeine in the afternoons. Whether this means drinking less java or drinking low-caffeine or decaf coffee, your sleep will thank you. Determining when to drink coffee for weight loss is crucial. Consuming caffeine late in the day can make falling asleep tricky.
- Drink coffee before exercising. Caffeine can provide a boost for your workouts, allowing you to burn a few more calories than usual.
- Eat healthy foods. Black coffee will never be a substitute for eating a balanced diet, with plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
Don’t Overdo It
While coffee and its caffeine content may be helpful for people trying to lose weight, you can have too much of a good thing. The upper limit for daily caffeine intake is set at 400 mg or about 4 cups of coffee. If you consume more than that, the negative side effects of caffeine will be more noticeable — these include:
- Difficulty sleeping. Caffeine can make it harder to fall asleep and stay asleep. Besides the issue of not getting enough rest, you may find yourself eating more if you’re awake longer.
- People who are sensitive to caffeine may notice that it makes them jittery or anxious.
- Since caffeine is a stimulant, too much of it may increase your heart rate and/or blood pressure, both of which can lead to health problems.
- People may become dependent on caffeine and develop a tolerance for it over time. This means that more caffeine could be needed to achieve the same effect.
While the research is continually evolving, it seems pretty clear that coffee possesses positives towards your health and wellbeing. We all know that java contains caffeine — that’s one of the reasons we love it! — but it’s also chock full of antioxidants. The combined effects of both can create some black coffee benefits for weight loss.
Caffeine is a stimulant, and it can reduce hunger while giving a boost to your metabolism. Caffeine can also encourage your body to break down fat, rather than other energy stores. Chlorogenic acid, an antioxidant compound found in coffee, is being researched for its effects on weight loss, as well. Plus, it’s a low-calorie beverage.
However, it’s important to know your limits with caffeine. Too much may lead to side effects, make your heart beat faster, and increase your blood pressure. Does coffee help weight loss? Only time will tell, but indications are looking promising.
Does Coffee Help Weight Loss? FAQs
Can Coffee Help You Lose Weight?
When used in combination with a healthy diet and exercise, yes, coffee can help you lose weight.
How Much Weight Can You Lose Drinking Coffee?
Don’t expect to drop tremendous amounts of weight by drinking coffee, but it can assist with modest weight loss. A study published in 2019 revealed a four percent fat loss was associated with drinking four cups of coffee daily.
How Can I Lose Weight with Coffee?
When it comes to how to use coffee for weight loss, the best way is by drinking it black. Of course, this should also be done in conjunction with eating a healthy diet and participating in regular exercise.
Are Coffees Fattening?
Coffee can be low in calories when it’s consumed without extras like sugar, creamer, or syrup. However, if you like to doctor your coffee with those things, it’s going to contain a lot more calories and thus be no good for your diet.
Is Black Coffee Bad for You?
No, black coffee is actually good for you! It’s full of antioxidants that can help your body’s cells repair themselves. Black coffee has also been shown to reduce the risk of several medical conditions, including cancer. Read our guide on the health benefits of black coffee.
Can I Drink Coffee on an Empty Stomach?
Most people can drink coffee on an empty stomach without any problems. However, if you find that your stomach is sensitive to it, you can try adding a splash of milk. You can also look for a coffee that’s labeled low-acid, as those are often gentler on the digestive system.
Can Coffee Cause Weight Gain?
If your coffee includes sugar, creamer, or flavored syrups, then yes, it can cause you to gain weight. There’s certainly nothing wrong with treating yourself occasionally, but coffee is healthier for you without the extras.